Sunday, August 5, 2007

Anti-Recommendations - Crystal House

Crystal House - Arlington, VA

1. I've lived in my apartment since Labor Day 2006. My roommate has been here for just about a year. … They're about to raise our rent from 1550 to 1925. We live in a 2br, 1.5 bath 1st floor "renovated" apartment. When we've gone to fight the 25% rent increase, we were told that we were getting a "deal" because the apartment is "renovated," meaning it recently had new kitchen cabinets (there is still only ONE drawer) and countertops and new vanities in the bathroom. The wiring is still old (the circuitry doesn't make any sense and we blow fuses often because we don't realize that two outlets on different sides of the apartment are in the same circuit). The tub needs to be replaced - our soap holder fell off the wall one night....just fell off...it didn't even have anything on it. The toilets are literally falling apart. The carpet is pulling up in certain places. We've had problems with the plumbing and the electricity.

The way they figure out utility costs is absolutely ridiculous. Instead of charging each apartment separately, they take the cost for the whole building and then divide it among the residents based on square footage of your apartment. So basically, if someone on the 9th floor leaves his/her water running all day, or leaves every light on everyone has to pay for it. The climate control....well you can't really control it. It's always either too hot or too cold and there's really no in between. The HVAC system is very outdated. Our corridor almost always smells like smoke, cigarette and otherwise. Every smell infiltrates the corridor and often permeates our apartment.

The management and leasing offices are basically worthless. Even though they're halfway competent, every request and conversation seems to be a great inconvenience to them. Maintenance requests take forever to complete, despite the 24 hour guarantee. A few requests we've had to make multiple times. Last week, our kitchen sink backed up and I put in a request... I got sick of waiting after two days and wound up fixing it myself and canceling the request. They don't communicate very well about changes in the apartment. Usually you'll get a memo slid under the door (don't bother putting down a rug or mat inside or the memo will go right under it). Even the memos are inconsistent. The week before Christmas, they shut off the electricity for the entire building for about 6 hours for a "routine county inspection." I had been doing my laundry in the common building laundry room and had just put my clothes in the dryer when the power went off. I wasn't the only one, either. The receptionist swore up and down they had sent out a notice...but most of the residents received nothing. Not to mention, I was trying to put together a Christmas Party and had to scramble to get everything together in time when the power came back on.

We haven't decided yet if we're going to stay or go. It's very convenient to the metro, the Underground and the restaurants and bars on 23rd street and Crystal Drive, but it's too expensive for what it is.

2. Parking used to be great. Now, it's a nightmare. The guest parking lot was sold off, so there is no parking for your friends. In recent months, there are construction trailors taking up at least 20 parking spots in the lot, if not more. Parking late at night is tedious, at best, and you'll have a healthy walk to the front door.

The leasing staff is chic. Unfortunately, once you sign the lease, you're ignored and treated with extreme disrespect. I have never been treated so badly, let alone ignored so much. I ask very little of an apartment complex. I am very understanding, and overlook many of the problems. But, this place is the worst managed, least secure, and worthless place that I have ever lived.

Maintenance is ridiculous. They don't fix problems. Chances are, if you removed the paint from your walls and kitchen cabinets, you'd see the rotting wood that is in mine. In the other areas of the apartment, the ceiling is leaking and molding. For a year.

Don't live here. Stay away. It's not worth it. Unless you plan on living in the swimming pool, there are far better options out there.

3. I moved into this place 10 months ago and I found the glass of the window was broken in the first day. There was a leaking problem in the ceiling of my bedroom, too. I asked the management office to fix these problems and they were really useless and rude. I had to send an e-mail to their headquarters in order to ask for help and it took me more than one month to get these things done. Since then, I have gotten lots of troubles in my apartment. When I went to the management office, the peoples are really rude and they never keep their promise. There was once when they made a mistake about my rent payment. I had to go to the bank to get the statement to prove it and the management people were so rude to me. They also lost my rent payment check one time and they blamed me for this. In addition, the living environment is really unbearable. There are a lot of noise problems just as other reviewers wrote down.

No comments: